Friday, October 16, 2009

RETRO 101

The Corporate Club is holding their annual dinner on 30th October 2009 @ Kelab Golf Perkhidmatan Awam. The theme chosen is RETRO.


Retro is a term used to describe, denote or classify culturally outdated or aged trends, modes, or fashions, from the overall postmodern past.


Last year, I won the Best Dress (Female). This year, well.... let others to have it. I really into fashion and this is the least I can do to help. NOW, for those out there who will be attending the dinner, here are some pointers that I wanted to share. ELEMENTS of RETRO.

Bold patterns

Bright un-coordinated colours

Polkadots

Bell-bottom jeans

Big sunglasses

Funky jacket (Commonly Adidas Classic)

Bright red lipstick

Pampadour hairstyle

Ponytail

Heavily-lined eyes

Platform shoes

Mini dress

Maxi

Flared trousers

Kaftan

Knitwear

HUGE shoulder pad (Think of Dallas / Dynasty)

Peep-toe pump

etc...etc...[ endless ]



I received some questions regarding the theme :


Dear Garlic, I am more interested in Hippie style. Can I be a hippie that night?

Well, retro can be anything before the 90s. Hippie is specifically in the 70s. Yes, you can.

(Info : Hippie style – head band, tie-and-dye shirt, bell-bottom, long hair, tight shirt for men, gypsy-style skirt)


Dear Mrs Butter, I am a cute girl but I have a wide waistline and huge bottom. What do you suggest?

I would suggest an empire-cut maxi dress.


Garlic Ma’am, I love vintage clothing.

Sir, that is a statement. Not a question.


Garlic Ma’am, I love vintage clothing. Is it okay if I wear one of those for the dinner? Sorry, I accidentally click on the “SEND” button before I finished typing earlier.

Oh, alright. Vintage is term used to attribute something as old or antique. Retro is vintage. You can wear them. You can also go for Victorian or Edwardian. They are vintages as well.


Where can I find something RETRO?

There are many online stores and blogs that sell used retro clothing. Due to the strict garlicandbutter blog policy, I could not publish them.


Off the record ;

[ or you could just RENT them ]


But, I have a dear cousin who collect and sell retro clothing [only] to her close friends. I borrowed a few for Retro 101 education purposes, snap some photos and I mix-n-match them with retro accessories. In case anyone interested, she is selling them at RM10 – RM15 per piece. Stay tune (still updating).

Dear Mdm.. u mentioned kaftan... is it the one we usually wear to bed?
That is the basic kaftan.
The Hippies of the 60s had brought with them clothes from other ethnic groupings which had often never even been seen before in the west. They were suited as glamour dressing when sewn in exotic fabrics and edged in silver, gold or other metallic embroidered trims. I've attached relevant photos for you, Puan Zoora.

2 comments:

ZOORA said...

dear mdm.. u mentioned kaftan... is it the one we usually wear to bed????

ZOORA said...

kahkahkakhakhakah
khakahka

aku nak kena tempah la kaftan ni