Monday, October 29, 2012

Raw oyster, anyone?

I love eating raw oyster with a squeeze of lemon or a dash of hot sauce. YUMMY.
(pic googled)

I also know the fact that raw food (half-boiled egg, sashimi, raw oyster, etc) is not good for pregnant ladies, especially raw oyster because they are filter feederswhich means they concentrate any contaminants in the water. (and then we ate the contaminants, raw)

It was OK during my past pregnancies. But, this time around, I have learned the hard way. I had raw oyster poisoning from a buffet at a hotel during a workshop and I was down for three days. I couldnt get up at all. I didnt know whether it is night or day, morning or afternoon. I didnt know what my kids were doing. I just lay down on my bed for three days straight. I tried to eat a bit of this and that for the baby's sake even though I knew my body will eventually reject everything. 

This was on the Day 01 of the poisoning. I went for ante-natal check up (my lucky number that day was 7032) and MGTT (modified glucose tolerance test) - the one that the nurse take your blood sample (fasting), ask you to finish a glass of freakin sweet glucose drink and come again in two hours for another blood test.
I came in 30 minutes late for the second blood test. It was OK in the morning but after 2 hours, I couldnt even stand up. The nurses keep calling my number (7032) because the pick up guy from the General Hospital Lab was already there to collect all blood samples. Everybody have to wait for me. LOL. Blame the oyster.

Today is the 6th day. I still have occasionally nausea and abdominal cramp. I keep eating honey to get rid of the bad bacteria in the system. It is a good thing that I love honey (here) and I have a vast collection of honey at home.

Abu Sa’id Al-Khudri reported: A man came to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and told him that his brother’s stomach was upset. He said, “Give him honey.” So he gave it to him, but then later he came and said, “I have given him honey but it has only made his stomach more upset.” He said this three times and then he came a fourth time, and the Prophet said, “Give him honey.” He said, “I have already given it to him but it has only made his stomach more upset.” The Prophet said, “Allah has spoken the truth and your brother’s bowels are wrong.” So he made him drink more honey and he recovered.
[Sahih Muslim, Book 26, Number 5492]

No comments: