Tuesday, April 5, 2011

World Habitat Day celebration - design evolution

World Habitat Day (WHD) celebration has become an important part of my life for seven years now. I really enjoy doing it.
WHY?

ONE – because I am really passionate on housing the poor and to be able to raise the public awareness towards issues related to human settlement. Although I am no longer practising as an architect, but I am still embracing the spirit :: Everyone deserves a comfortable shelter.

TWO – because it is the only area of my work that I could put my personal touch, be it on paper, graphic design, storyboard, video editing, photography, gimmick preparation, you name it.

This post is about the latter. In 2010, I've designed one simple slide for WHD meeting, but it took me up to 4 hours just to get the right composition and colour (why oh why?). I did not attend my office's futsal tournament because I was so into the design that evening. I was still there when my colleagues came back to the office after the tournament. This is my slide. (I also posted it here).

I was glad everyone in the meeting likes it. Then, I was given the task to design a booklet and backdrop for WHD 2010 launching ceremony. Well, that’s great since it will be attended by 400 people from 25 countries! More people will be able to see my design! yay!


The booklet cover :























The backdrop. Proposal and final :


Backdrop in action (dang those plants!).


Some snapshot of the evening. Kak Adibah was there too. (Adibah Noor is Malaysian multi-talented artist). This is our fifth event involving Kak Adibah. She attended our WHD meetings, sponsored prizes for our competition and launching gimmick in 2009. She is so generous, very professional, intelligent and funny. She was our Ambassador of Habitat (2009).

Then, to my surprise, on 4th October 2010, on the WORLD HABITAT DAY 2010 itself, someone showed me the mainstream newspaper and there it was…. My design. Although it was not credited properly, I am still proud.






















No comments: