Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What I've already missed about Japan : Vending machines

It is e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e!! I didnt buy anything from the vending machine in Japan, I just enjoy the view of it all over the place. It is called jidoohanbaiki in Japan. According to the Japan Vending Machine Manufacturers Association, there are 5.51 million machines in Japan, taking a total of nearly 7 trillion yen (around $ 58 billion) a year.

At first, I found selling office wear (and decent underwear) at Seven Eleven (7-11) was impressive enough, but after a short walk around Tokyo, I found a lot of vending machines that sell things which we havent seen in Malaysia's vending machine. Enjoy!
When I said A LOT. I really mean, A LOT.

Some interesting facts about jidoohanbaiki (googled) :

There are machines that sell items that minors are prohibited from buying such as cigarettes and alcohol. But how to prevent that from happening? Count on the Japanese to solve that problem. A Japanese company called Fujitaka has introduced a “Child Check System” for cigarette vending machines that uses facial recognition. It then compares the face with 100,000 faces in the vending machines database after taking a digital photograph of the consumer.

No comments: