Tuesday, January 7, 2014

GSW : The Motorcade

What is a motorcade?
(via here)
mo·tor·cade  (mtr-kd)
n.
A procession of motor vehicles, as in a parade.

I have been contemplating for nearly 6 months whether to blog about this or not.

It is the most interesting event along MEX (Maju Expressway) every time I commuted from Gombak to my office in Putrajaya between 2011-2012 (most of the time I took 2 buses + 2 trains - here). I love watching motorcade. There were long motorcades , sometimes there were only three cars. On lucky days, I could see the Prime Minister's car and his Deputy's passing through MEX.

But you know what is more interesting than the most interesting event?
TO BE A PART OF THE MOTORCADE.
TO BE IN THE FRONT-MOST CAR IN THE MOTORCADE.

I got the chance when I was appointed as the Liaison Officer (LO) for the First Lady of Republic of Namibia in June 2013. Previous entries - here and here. I was tasked to manage the whole motorcade team. 

This is the motorcade arrangement. This is the part that scares me so I just covered the rest of the texts, leaving only my car and the police clearance riders. It is just like looking at the motorcade on the road, but in diagram - without any indication who is in which car. Normal motorcade did not have LO car, like the one I was assigned to. It only happens during international events. So, I dont think it is wrong to post this photo.
I was assigned to the first car. In between two riders. Their sirens were like a music to my ears. So loud but I love it very much. The riders truly had my respect because they controlled the [huge bike and] traffic very well, especially when we were passing through the busiest streets in Kuala Lumpur. They have worked so hard from morning to midnight. They ride in the rain. Some of them fell down because the road was slippery. But they got up and ride again, like nothing happened. It was an eye opener to me. I never knew their job is THAT tough.

My team in action. I took almost 50 photos of our motorcade in action in 5 days but these are the clear ones. The rest are blur because we moved fast.That is our prestige rider, Panjang. He will be in that position every time the First Lady got in and out of the car.
These are my great riders/teammates, resting at the airport waiting for the First Lady to depart for Namibia on the last day.

No comments: