Thursday, June 2, 2016

Winter 2015 : Anglo-Saxon book

I went to the second hand market in Harpurhey Market on one fine Thursday morning (before I went to the library), hoping to get something useful for Nazreen's Anglo-Saxon projects. He has to create an Anglo-Saxon shield and I have to create an Anglo-Saxon costume for him :)

They are going for a trip to an Anglo-Saxon village in January, so they have to blend with the rest of Anglo-Saxons and experience living as one of them. I love this project. It is SO FUN!!! That's why I got myself a sewing machine (here) and fabrics (here) before this.

After a few minutes walking, I found one roll of brown fabric ribbon (around 20 metres) for GBP2. I really needs it for Nazreen's costume! Then, I found this for 50p. Alhamdulillah.
The book explains in detail who are the Anglo-Saxons, Vikings and Normans, the Alfred's laws, England after Alfred, the Battle of Hastings, the Crusades, Magna Carta and many more. It is full of graphic which keeps me interested to read it till the end.

And later that night, the King Arthur movie was aired. It was about *duh* King Arthur and the invading Saxon army. The whole family really enjoyed studying the details especially their shield designs and costumes. Nazreen was so excited every time he heard the word "Saxon" mentioned by the actors.

For me, this is not a coincidence. It is Allah, Who eases everything for us. 

No comments: