Sunday, February 10, 2013

Traditional Postnatal Massage

I just completed my 4th traditional postnatal massage session. Just now.
(pic googled)
It supposed to be 7 days in a row, right after I came back from the hospital but I can only stand 3 sessions in a row. I asked the bibik urut for two days break BECAUSE POSTNATAL MASSAGE IS SUCH A PAINFUL ORDEAL. I dont believe in gentle postnatal massage.

It took 9 months of pregnancy and a few hours of contractions and labour process to make whatever inside you haywire. And it is impossible to fix it in 7 days. 

I supposed to have another session tomorrow but I cancelled it. I think age is catching up with me. Last time, I was a fan of traditional postnatal massage because it is extremely rejuvenating (it still does!), purely addictive and therapeutic.

Anyway, I will complete the 7 sessions or probably more. The best thing about this massage is, when I came back from the hospital, I still look like 6 months pregnant, but after two sessions, my tummy is as flat as a board ;p 

This is from BabyCenter.com :


What are the benefits of the traditional postnatal massage?

According to Datin Sharifah Anisah, founder of Nona Roguy (now NR) and author of Ensiklopedia Perbidanan Melayu (Encyclopaedia of Malay Midwifery), the postnatal massage will:
  • improve blood circulation;
  • expel lochia;
  • "lift" the womb and keep it from sagging;
  • break down fat;
  • tone and shape the body to help the new mum get her pre-baby body back; and
  • speed up overall recovery from labour and birth.

No comments: