Thursday, December 17, 2015

HLP2015 : Application – IELTS

IELTS stands for International English Language Testing System.


From IELTS' website - IELTS is accepted as evidence of English language proficiency by over 9,000 organisations worldwide. IELTS is recognised as a secure, valid and reliable indicator of true-to-life ability to communicate in English for education, immigration and professional accreditation.

I was pretty occupied in October 2014 preparing for a huge-scale event for my office. I tried my best to prepare everything in advance because I will be sitting for my test on THE same day as the event. I need a couple of days to do a last minutes revision.

I spent around RM750 to register for the test and reading materials for the test. There are four modules - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. In Malaysia, you could sit for the exam conducted either by British Council or IDPYou can register for the preparatory course and test, online or at the counter. Choose the date that is convenient for you (they have it quite regular), attend the tests and the result will be out in 2 weeks (if I am not mistaken). You can check the result online and collect it later.

Three modules - Reading (read long passages and answer tricky questions), Writing (two essays if I am not mistaken) and Listening (to three different conversation with different accents and answer the questions on the spot) were conducted on Saturday. While speaking module was conducted on the following Friday. 
The Speaking Module was conducted by the native speaker from the UK. His accent was really thick. Doing some reading (especially on the differences between UK English & US English - i.e. rubber/eraser, jumper/sweater) and listening exercise would help you better in speaking module. 

Honestly, I didn’t have proper time to study. Sometimes I tried to do the online test while everyone was asleep or after office hours, read, when I was tired the most. That was the only time I have. Alhamdulillah, I got a band higher than most of the universities’  minimum requirement.

No comments: